Saturday, December 09, 2006

Ready for Christmas?

My favorite holiday has always been Christmas especially after I moved to Memphis because I could decorate and really get into the Christmas spirit. Last year Antonio and I purchased LOTS of decorations for our new house and it was awesome. When Christmas was over last year, everything was boxed nicely and put in the attic. WELL...this year I did not plan to put any decorations out because I knew it would take a long time and I just didn't want to mess with it. Antonio insisted that we must put everything out for Tatum, so he got everything out of the attic for me to put out. Needless to say, the tree is up, but that is all that is currently up and all that will be put out this year.

I also have only bought 2 presents so far this year!! Anyone who knows me, knows that I usually start buying WAY in advance, but not this year! I really don't know what my deal is, I just am not into it. I feel like every year I go and buy and buy for people and really put lots of thought into what I get people only for them to not like what I get them. I mean, if Christmas rolled around and we didn't get presents, would people really be mad about it? Probably.

I thought I would finally get into the Christmas mood after Antonio and I did Tatum's Christmas photo shoot and I ordered her Christmas cards, but when I went to pick up the cards I was SO disappointed because the wrong pic was put on the card.(not sure if it was my error or theirs). Well, today I went and got it corrected and the new cards are AWESOME!! I just finished putting addresses and stamps on the cards. I will be mailing them out tomorrow!

After picking up my cards at costco, I went to the post office to get stamps and I find myself in the LONGEST LINE ever!! I am pretty patient, but these people were taking FOREVER! Then all of the sudden it hit me...I was watching this lady who was mailing like 10 HUGE boxes and she was holding up the line a while. When I finally started paying attention to what she was mailing, I felt so bad. Here this lady was mailing packages to our troops in Iraq! How selfless of her. I guess she knew that we were all staring at her because she turned around and apologized for taking so much time. I asked her if those packages were for her son and she said no, they were just care packages for random troops that she got names and wish lists for. After talking to her, I felt like I should be apologizing to HER for having these "not so nice" thoughts about her and having to stand in line behind her!

Anyway, I know I am rambling on, but I guess what I am trying to say is...this Christmas just remember WHY we have Christmas! Be thankful for the family and friends that surround you and not so much about what is sitting under the tree with your name on it!

No comments: