Friday, December 15, 2006

Celebrate!!



Today is my dad's birthday! I will not tell you how old he is(just in case he is a little sensitive about how old he is getting), but he is another year older.

I have always been a Daddy's Girl I suppose. He always was my coach (official or not) when I played basketball, baseball, or any other sport when I was little.

I also always remember as a little girl climbing in the farm truck to ride around with my dad on the farm. On Saturdays when we thought we deserved a break, we would go down to Mr Cherry's store and we would get Coke(in a glass bottle) and an individual bag of peanuts. My dad then taught me the next trick...drink a little bit of your coke and then pour your peanuts INTO your coke. Yes, I did say pour the peanuts in the Coke, and then drink up!! I always thought it was so good, but I am not sure if I liked it because my dad liked it, or if I really just liked it.

Wow, I have so many memories my dad...I always love it when he sticks out his teeth at little kids when their parents aren't watching. The kid's reactions are just PRICELESS! He still does this now and we all still laugh until we cry!

I also remember when I was TINY and we had a station wagon that was our "Farm Car". Well my dad needed to get that car AND the tractor across the farm and it was only me and him, so what did he do? He showed me where the brake was on the car and how to steer (sp) and then put the car in gear and off I went. That's right, when I was about 6 yrs old I drove a car ALONE with him following me in the tractor! I did great too! I didn't hit anything and climbed down out of the seat to hit the brake when I needed to stop.

When I didn't want to go to school sometimes, I would FAKE it and my mom would call me in sick(I am sure she knew I was faking, but I got away with it). And then after everyone left for school my dad would take me to the barn or something and let me play all day. However, he would have me home and clean before my mom got home! And if I was sick, he would always go to KFC and get me mashed potatoes(because that is what I wanted) and bring them home for me to eat! Spoiled? Me? NEVER!

My dad would also let me sit in his lap when I was really small and let me steer the car while he pushed the gas or brake.

And then there was the time that I had Matt's stick shift Bronco to drive to school, but I didn't know how to drive a stick shift, so I got the shortest driving lesson ever! He drove up our street to show me it's done, and then I drove back to the house so he could get out and then I drove to school all by myself. I made it to school(on time) and home alive, so I guess he is a great teacher.

And then there is the MEANEST Rook player ever! Yes, that would be my dad!! These days, we don't play very much because he HAS to win, or else he isn't happy. And if Daddy ain't happy, well you know the rest....

Anyway, I could go on and on, but Tatum is crying to be fed. Happy Birthday and may there be MANY, MANY more!! Thanks Dad for loving us and raising us right! I hope and pray that we make you proud!

No comments: